|National Nutrition Month
It’s time to “Put Your Best Fork Forward” to celebrate National Nutrition Month! Every March is a reminder to commit to healthy eating and physical activity.
Tips to Try –
- What can you do to change or improve your habits? Small changes add up over time. Change one habit at a time for long-lasting results.
- Would you like to lose weight? It’s not a diet. It’s a lifestyle. For motivation, check out Day 1 Motivation, Motivation, Motivation in The Food Is My Friend Diet.
- Would you like to include more fruits and vegetables in your diet? Add a fruit with breakfast. Add more veggies to a sandwich at lunch. Eat a fruit for an afternoon snack. Make half the plate a big salad for dinner.
- Would you like to be more active? What do you like to do? Walk? Go to the gym? Jog by yourself? Join a running group? Clean house? Dance? There’s something for everyone.
It’s All About Prevention –
A healthy lifestyle prevents health problems before they start. Who wants to take a lot of medications or spend time in the hospital?
More Tips –
Do you spend a lot of money on coffee drinks and snacks? Go grocery shopping on the weekend to buy healthy snacks, such as popcorn, bags of nuts, string cheese, yogurt or fruit.
Try cooking more at home. Begin with a meal plan for the week. When you have a plan, you will be less tempted to grab something quick on your way home from work. Besides, eating at restaurants can load on the calories, as well as extra amounts of sodium to your meals.
It’s Your Live –
Your goal is to create a create a healthy lifestyle that you are willing to do over your lifetime. For science-based experts that you can trust, find a registered dietitian nutritionist in your area. Check out www.eatright.org and be the best that you can be.
|Happy New Year
Is January your favorite month? The start of a new year is always a great time forget the past and to begin fresh.
Remember what it was like to embark on a new relationship? There’s so much potential to build a long and happy future with the person you love.
If your “fresh start” is to lose weight, follow this tips!
- To meet your weight loss goals, act like you are building a positive and trustworthy relationship with another person. Become your best friend. Allow yourself to love and comfort yourself as well as having the willpower to set limits and say no.
- Set goals. Life is a process. Don’t expect to lose 10 pounds in a week and keep it off. Set reasonable goals. Perhaps decide to completely give up sweets. For many people, it’s all or nothing. This one change will allow you to save a lot of calories and begin your weight loss journey.
- No excuses. Just do it. Walk a mile a day. You don’t have to be perfect. If it’s cold and rainy, get back on track as soon as possible. The more calories that you burn, the quicker you will lose weight.
Change is necessary. Otherwise, everything will stay the same. Right? Things will be different but also better.
Best of luck to make it happen. You got this!
Have the Happiest, Healthiest New Year yet!
|Banana Nut Mug Cake
This mug cake has a delicious flavor and can be enjoyed in minutes.
Banana Nut Mug Cake for Two
4 tablespoons cake flour
2 tablespoons uncooked oatmeal
4 teaspoons unpacked brown sugar
½ teaspoon cinnamon
Pinch of salt
1 tablespoon chopped walnuts
1 teaspoon baking powder
4 tablespoons mashed, ripe banana
5 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon vanilla
In a bowl, add flour, oatmeal, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt and walnuts. In another bowl, add mashed banana, water and vanilla. Add the flour mixture to the banana mixture and refrigerator for 8 minutes to allow gluten in flour to mix. Spray a large mug with cooking spray. Take banana mixture out of refrigerator and stir in baking powder. Spoon mixture into the greased mug. Microwave on high for 4 minutes. Cake should look firm on top. The bottom will look a little moist but not look raw. Enjoy warm out of the bowl. Serves 2. 188 calories
Note: Regular flour can be used. The flavor will still be delicious, but it will be a little bit tough and chewy. With the small amounts of ingredients, the measurements must be precise to maintain the proper texture. For convenience, add 4 tablespoons of mashed banana with 1 tablespoon of chopped walnuts and freeze for another cake.